Monday, April 30, 2012

Reading Reflection #8

Book:  Forbidden
Author: Tabitha Suzuma
Pages Read: 45

I like seeing the difference between the way the two main characters, Lochan and Maya are written. Lochan sees things from more of the view point of an intellegent, deeply depressed but strong for his family. Maya is more hopeful, more open. I like that you can recognize their personalities from the word choice. Lochan's voice is poetic but dark while Maya's is simpler but full of more hopeful word choices and perspectives.

But the reason I picked this book up wasn't the writing (well that did play a large factor because I'm a book snob and refuse to read badly written junk) but because of the theme of the book. It is the epitome of forbidden love. I think of myself as a pretty open-minded person but the premise of this book threw me off. Lochan and Maya are brother and sister and they are in love. I mean like romantic love. So the reason I picked up this book was because I couldn't bring myself to accept that. it's completely against anything in society. Rich boy likes poor girl, fine. Boy loves boy, okay with me. Transgender people doing their thing, doesn't bother me at all. polygamy, if that's what works for you, go for you. and yet i was repulsed by a brother and sister falling in love with each other. i decided to give this story a chance and i bought the book. So far there has been only hints at a deeper relationship and analyzing Lochan I am beginning to see how he might fall for someone in his family because he can't even speak to anyone outside of his family. he cannot see himself speaking, never mind being intimate with someone who doesn't already know him in every way. Maya I haven't figured out, so far I think that she feels very close to her brother and understands him in every way. she wants to show him that.

so that's the story so far. if you think you're open minded, i dare you to challenge yourself to read this book. it should be interesting..

No comments:

Post a Comment